Saturday, March 13, 2010

Entitlement at work

I tend to come across two types of clients at work: the one's who pretty much grew up with nothing, so are grateful and humble for anything they can have access to which can help make their situation slightly better.....

AND:

The one's who actually have access to money or family who can provide assistance to them, but don't see this as being a "resource" and form of support.

It is usually the second type that is calling me ALL THE TIME at work, who never want to take "no" for an answer when I tell them I am not going to be able to help them get what they want.

I understand WHERE they are coming from, and as a parent, if this was my son in their situation, I would probably want my child to have access to whatever he could get.

BUT:

I think in today's times, where resources are limited, and in some cases, non-existent, FAMILY is going to have to be part of the equation in being able to provide support.

If you are a social worker or case manager, how do you deal with clients who feel "entitled"?

No comments:

Post a Comment