Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hot Yoga

I have been going to this class since early February and I absolutely love it.

I have good days, and days where I sit out half the class. Overall though, it is the most amazing experience.

I highly recommend taking hot yoga if you are NOT a gym person and need/want to get into shape. While there are certainly young, ballerina types in my classes, the MAJORITY of the people who attend do NOT fit this body description at all. A lot of people who come are trying to lose weight or get over an injury. You go at your own pace and the teachers never, ever make you feel forced to do any position. They do ask that you try, but if you can't do something that day, it's totally okay.

If you don't know what hot yoga is, it is yoga, the same 26 positions every class (so they are easy to learn), in a very hot room (around 100-110 degrees) with about 40-50% humidity. Each class lasts 90 minutes, and the first half are standing poses, the second half of class is all on the floor.

You sweat A LOT and detox which is probably the best part of the class IMO.

They suggest you don't eat for 2-3 hours before your class. You are strongly advised to never ever leave the room. The biggest goal when you start out (and in general) is to just stay in the room and get used to the heat.

You bring a yoga mat, a large towel, a small face towel and drink lots and lots of water (I bring a big bottle with me).

I go on average now 3-4 times a week. (They say you should go at least 3 times a week to make any noticeable difference).

I have seen changes in my body. I am less hungry and have lost a few pounds. I also really, really, really look forward to going and feel bad on the days that I cannot get to class for whatever reason.

It also is a pretty affordable class IMO. At my studio they have a special where you pay the $20.00 for the first class and then you have 10 days of "free" unlimited yoga. I then bought 10 classes which is around $160.00.

I think next time I am going to sign up for the monthly unlimited debit which is around $140.00 a month.

I wish many of my clients had access to hot yoga. I know for many of them the price is always going to make it impossible for them to attend. I totally would support "scholarships" though for people in this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment