Saturday, August 13, 2011

Social work stress, be gone!

Well, when I checked in earlier this week, I was very highly stressed out if you couldn't tell.

Since that time, things hopefully are headed on the up and up.


What set me off initially, was that my agency has recently hired a couple of new employees, one who is very young and new to the field, without much experience.

(Not that there is anything wrong with that, because we all had to start out once upon a time)

and the fact that there was still no supervisor and my boss told the newbies that if they needed anything, go to ME, is what upset me.


The one actually contacted him to say that she had a lot of stuff she needed someone to sit down and show her, and she did not feel like I had the time for this.

His response was that I had to make the time.

Of course I stewed for a bit, and then came up with a plan that they could come to me if needed on a certain day each week, and then of course they could contact me if it was a true emergency situation they needed help with.

I presented this plan to my boss, and he was fine with it and also let me know that he actually is in the process of hiring a supervisor. The news just hadn't been publicly shared with the team.

So, with this said, I am hoping that he is really going to be true to his word.

I honestly don't mind helping out from time to time, but I gave up social work supervisory positions for a reason...........I just don't want the stress associated with them and I am not a good manager of other employees in general.

I ended up moving my desk in with the one new staff too earlier this week, and that has kind of helped because I think with my close prescence, she feels a lot more supported.

So we shall see what happens........we all want someone who we can go to for support, and we all want the new staff to stay. Supervision is definitely critical for these two things to happen in my opinion.

Right now add on to this, that I am also semi-in charge because my boss is on vacation for the next two weeks.

Wish me luck that I keep my sanity!

No comments:

Post a Comment