Saturday, February 4, 2012

Ways to make extra $$$$$


Ha, I know as a social worker no matter where you live, this thought is probably always on your mind.

I know it's on mine, especially because we live in such an expensive area and DH is self-employed......sometimes it seems like a really long time will go by before he gets paid from a job, which means I feel broke all the time or find myself dipping into savings to make ends meet.

Since I work F/T and have a child, I personally don't want to get involved with some kind of P/T job where I need to leave the house and after taxes only bring in a small amount.

So with that said, the timing couldn't have been more perfect for this because it is already part of what I am doing at work anyways.......my agency has really begun to push bonuses if we can get a client approved for the programs I work for within 45 days. We will get $500.00 (pre-tax!) for that. If we bring someone new on within 60 days, they will reward us with $250.00 (also before taxes).

It really is a great incentive, when sometimes our efforts to go above and beyond can feel unrecognized, and the best, helps out in terms of savings and paying off some debt.

I haven't qualified for one of these in awhile, but my boss reminded me earlier this week (I think he knew I was stressed and overall employee morale has been quite low). I unexpectedly realized I qualified for a $500.00 one from a client I brought on back in November!! Reviewing the recent cases I had worked on, I also saw I would've made the $250.00 one for several clients, but was off a week past the 60 days each time.........so this does give me an extra push to stay on top of my work.

What are some things you do to make extra cash?

Does your agency offer any kind of financial incentive?

7 comments:

  1. I work for the AZ govt so they tell us not to work so much and to not work over time at all costs. I don't have to worry about $$ because I am a single person household and I am able to make the ends meet. I am not responsible for my health insurance because the state govt pays for the majority of the costs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I've actually taken up blogging and writing for content mills like Infobarrel and Squidoo in an attempt to make some passive income. I've only made a few cents so far, but we'll see what comes of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies for responding!!! It does help being a 2-income household too. DH covers our mortgage/taxes, I pay for everything else so I guess it balances out.

    It sucks not having employer-paid healthcare (especially because I work in healthcare), however, there are many other pros to working where I do, don't get me wrong. Flexible schedule, ability to work from home, boss that doesn't micromanage, etc. Happy Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's pretty awesome that your agency offers these bonuses. Alas, I think this is probably rare in the social work world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I work for a not-for-profit agency, so cash bonuses are not on the radar. My agency does do a good job of offering additional benefits however, like a "wellness" benefit and car maintenace benefit (since we are required to use own personal vehicles for work).
    Pressure for extra money usually falls on my partner tho, who is self-employed. Do you find it hard to plan your budget with your husband being self-employed? It does bug me that month to month plans/income changes so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It can be tough, especially if I have to dip into savings for something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a clinician at a residential facility for unaccompanied minors run by a non-profit. My organization pays triple time for the major holidays. I offer to work Christmas, New Year's, etc and it is so worth it!

    ReplyDelete