Friday, January 25, 2013

Views of those in need

I don't know why, but all of a sudden, people who post anything negative towards those in need, and their perceived views of who is "getting over" are, well, really getting to me.

During the whole election this stuff didn't even bother me.

Maybe I just blocked it out, but more than likely I was just dealing with my own stuff like this and this.

In a short number of days though, I have begun to write people out of my life.

People I used to be good friends with.

I have found that I can no longer take comments and those god awful somee cards poking fun at or villifying the poor and vulnerable.

I am tired of people making comments about Sandy Hook being made up to support the gun agenda, or about how they are sick of seeing people on welfare spending their taxpayer money on the latest IPhone and drugs.


It is my personal belief that unless you live through hardship, you see hardship every day like social work professionals or you have to depend on a system (or lack of!) for any kind of help, you really are not going to understand how the real world works and will buy into these ignorant statements and "jokes".

But no matter what I say to stand up for people, I seem to be painted as the delusional one.

The person who needs to agree to disagree.

I work in home care so I know there is fraud that goes on, but more often than not, these people are few and far between.

And in many cases, big business supports this since they are making out financially too ;).

People have said to me, why even bother responding, because you can't argue with people who have these kinds of beliefs.

And I know that to an extent this is true.

But, if I can educate just one person of the realities of how things are, then I think it's worth the debate.

And it's also been worth it to decide that I probably won't be attending my high school reunion now, since I was on the fence about it before LOL.



2 comments:

  1. Hi, there! First time reader. I am a first year MSW student, and was just searching for social work blogs, and here I am. I could not agree more. I am originally from Indiana, very conservative, and so many of my Facebook friends from ye olde days have posted the most disheartening stuff. It's not funny--it's a person. Thanks for standing up for these people, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for stopping by! I am taking a break from doing research and writing a paper and thought I'd check in blogland for a short break, hope over and say hello!

    ReplyDelete